Social icons

HER TAKE AND EAT IT TOO

Sunday, April 16, 2023

Photo by T.M., from her kitchen in CA.

     It's beyond delight a follower of my blog created her version of fruits and greens salad using my recipe and sending me a photo message excited how it turned out - and here it is! I think it looks amazing and delicious, the combination of ingredients so colorful, the faithfulness to the use of my dates and edamame but with a twist of strawberries is great, T.M. said that the dressing was key and that the balance I had guided her to be sensitive about in incorporating everything was the harmony in the eating-to-taste satisfaction, and a food job well done. Kudos T.M.! May our sharing be inspiration to others as well through your initiative: transforming my writing into reality at your table. I feel so honored. Much thanks to you. Enjoy your fruits of labor.


"Some of the best cooking is done with virtually no tools" (Irma S. Rombauer, from the The Joy of Cooking). Gardening to grow your own food is fundamental to that artisanal kitchen. I remember this reader of mine sharing a story about her vegetable patch in the backyard prolific with sweet potato leaf-vines and harvesting them as salad greens to blanch lightly and juice with lime or lemon only, a little salt, and bowl it up with steaming rice laced with sesame oil and chili flakes and spoon away the uncontrollable umami - what a rustic take on a beautiful, simple meal connected intimately to your home, straight to your heart's health! There are other nutritious greens from roots vegetables you can use with this quick blanching technique other than all varieties of potatoes, so please eat beets leaves, parsnips, yuccas, yams. And don't forget the rice (bowl) presentation. Eat the flowers, too, if they have them after you decorate your plate. Above all love what you do in your kitchen while cooking - because your garden just outside will be happy. I can see it.



   

Unknown said...

Yes, the garden is happy to be well-appreciated! Nutrition from the leaves is often overlooked by people, including myself. Thanks for bringing it to attention and thank you again for writing.

RedMoon said...

❤️💛 Thank you for sharing the lovely salad from one of your followers. Remembering my Mom with regards to vegetable garden. The abundance of young leaves from yam, she placed on top of steaming rice, leaves of taro root cut into small pieces cooked with coconut milk and the young leaves of her chili plant as greens to her sumptuous chicken soup. All these plants and more from her small vegetable garden back home when we were growing up… and all for love ❤️💛

Author said...

Beautiful memories and delicious recipes with that! Thank you Red Moon - I can definitely imagine those informative years you had around love food. I really appreciate your avid reading and sharing through my blog pieces.

Powered by Blogger.